Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
Regional Interests

Man shot by Vancouver police died Monday, 4 others released from hospital

The man shot by two Vancouver Police Department officers after a reported attack Sunday night died from his injuries, the Clark County Sheriff’s Office confirmed Tuesday.

The man died Monday, according to spokesperson Sgt. Brent Waddell, though it’s unclear when. The shooting occurred within an hour of midnight Sunday.

Meanwhile, four others injured that night — including the person identified as the suspect’s girlfriend — have been released from the hospital, Waddell said.

“He died yesterday and the victims were treated and released from the hospital and their status of injuries is unknown at this time,” Waddell said in an email. Waddell said he did not “anticipate another press release until Friday afternoon.”

Under a relatively new state law, the attack and subsequent shooting spur a team of independent investigators to examine the events of the shooting.

Still, few details have been disclosed. A press release by Vancouver police said a man forced his way into an apartment and stabbed his girlfriend. He was then removed by multiple people inside.

Outside, the man confronted officers, the police said.

“The suspect refused police commands to drop his weapon,” the agency said in the release. “Two Vancouver police officers fired their weapons, striking the suspect.”

The two Vancouver police officers involved in the shooting, who were immediately placed on paid administrative leave, have not been identified.

Initiative 940, which went into effect in 2019, is designed to give more citizen oversight of police shootings. Guidelines call for outside law enforcement to investigate. A citizen is also to serve with investigators.

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation into the shooting. Waddell said at least one representative from the Camas Police Department is involved, as well, and a citizen has been chosen.

The citizen must pass a background check before joining a pool to serve on the investigative team; 14 people are in the southwest Washington pool.

Likewise, an independent investigation is underway in Longview, according to The Daily News. On Oct. 2, officers with the Longview Police Department shot and killed 33-year-old Justin Aguilar-Tofte after he allegedly fled from police who tried to arrest him on a warrant.

The Longview officers also haven’t been identified.

Copyright 2020 Oregon Public Broadcasting