WHAT IS A PLANNED GIFT?
A planned gift is part of your overall financial and/or estate planning that fulfills your charitable intent to make a significant future donation to KHSU.
A planned gift will cost you nothing to make today – but it can provide perpetual support for KHSU - long into the future.
IT’S YOUR LEGACY
Your planned gift becomes your legacy and will enhance the station’s ability to better serve our region for years to come.
Careful estate planning will help you provide for your loved ones and for charitable institutions that are important to you – important institutions like KHSU.
WAYS TO MAKE A PLANNED GIFT TO KHSU
• Include a bequest to KHSU in your will or trust.
• Designate KHSU as a beneficiary in your:
Life Insurance Policies
Bank and Brokerage Accounts
• Create a Charitable Trust
• Set up a Charitable Annuity
Charitable funds donated to KHSU are administered by the Humboldt State University Advancement Foundation. When naming KHSU as your beneficiary, making a bequest, or otherwise designating KHSU to receive your planned gift, please specify your gift using this language:
“For the Benefit of KHSU through the Humboldt State University Advancement Foundation, IRS tax identification number 94-6077724.”
We encourage you to designate your planned gift to a KHSU Endowment Fund. For more information about KHSU endowments, click here.
ENGAGE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE
While it may be tempting to 'do-it-yourself,' it is easy to become a victim of what you do not know. Involve knowledgeable advisors, such as an attorney, accountant, financial planner, trust officer and/or planned giving specialist in your estate planning decisions. Investing in good planning now can save your estate and your loved ones considerable legal, financial, and emotional expense in the future.
KHSU has planned giving staff who can work with you and your attorney to confirm appropriate bequest language that best fulfills your philanthropic intent. Please discuss your plans with us before you finalize your charitable bequest. Let us work with you to best structure your gift, confirm that we can fulfill your intentions, and to let us say “Thank You”. Our planned giving staff has the expertise to provide confidential counsel and strategies that will ensure that the goals of your charitable bequest can be achieved. Our services are free.
REMEMBER THE BASICS:
- Make KHSU a beneficiary of your insurance policy, IRA, retirement plan or other financial instrument.
- Make a bequest to KHSU in your will or trust.
- Make your beneficiary designation or bequest unrestricted, or direct it to a specific purpose at KHSU (i.e. Endowment, Programming, Equipment Needs, etc.).
- Indicate that KHSU is to receive a specific amount or percentage of the balance remaining in your estate or trust.
- Consult with your attorney and/or financial advisors.
- Let us know about your charitable intent so that we can honor and acknowledge your generous intentions – and so we can THANK YOU for caring about KHSU.
Thanks in advance for caring about KHSU. For more information about the range of charitable planned giving opportunities to help KHSU, and for professional counsel without cost, please contact:
Peter Fretwell, KHSU General Manager
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521
Phone: (707) 826-6085